Thursday, January 10, 2013

Roast Duck

Hello fellow foodies!  One Thanksgiving when I lived in Brooklyn, I was planning a big dinner for friends and family and so I wanted to do something a little different.  I decided to make duck! Now I had never cooked a duck before in my life but I knew I wanted something that would bring out the flavor of the duck but that wasn't too complicated. I searched and searched the internet for a simple recipe but found nothing that, on its own, peaked my interest.  So I combined bits and pieces from each recipe and added my own touch to the mix and this is what I came up with. It is a sure fire win at any dinner party!

EAT GOOD FOOD, LIVE A GOOD LIFE!
- Poetic Cook





Ingredients
1 whole duck completely defrosted (I used a 6lb bird) clean and pat dry
1 cup of honey
soy sauce
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
five spice powder (can be found in most asian spice sections)

Directions
Combine honey and seasonings in a bowl to taste (Note: I try to find a balance between the sweet and savory of the ingredients so I taste a few times before adding to duck). Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush duck entirely with mixture including inside. LET DUCK SIT WITH MARINADE FOR ONE HOUR. Cook uncovered on rack inside pan for about 2 to 2.5 hours turning bird every 35 minutes. After first 30 minutes of cooking, turn oven down to 300 degrees. Duck is done when nice and brown and temp is 180 degrees.

Voila! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This recipe is amazing and pretty easy. The duck came out great, so great that my 4 year old daughter kept asking for more. I will definitely be cooking this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it was a hit! My daughter feels the same way! LOL!

    ReplyDelete