Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Savory Butternut Squash Soup

Hello Fellow Foodies! Nothing says fall flavor like butternut squash soup.  I had tasted many variations of it at restaurants and while I was okay with them generally, nothing really hit me as a recipe that I would want to try to recreate at home.  So I set out to find a recipe that was less sweet, more savory and more my speed.  After finding a variety of savory versions on line I decided to add my own twist and this is what I came up with...the perfect balance of sweet and savory fall flavors...true comfort.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.    

EAT GOOD FOOD, LIVE A GOOD LIFE!
-Poetic Cook





Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 small potatoes, cubed
1 granny smith apple, diced
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
30 oz of chicken stock
2 packets Knorr Low Sodium Homestyle Chicken Stock
salt
freshly ground pepper
freshly ground nutmeg

Directions:
Heat oil in a large pot, and cook the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, apples and squash 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Pour in enough of the chicken stock to cover vegetables as well as the Knorr stock packets. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender. Transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth. Return to pot. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let soup return to a light boil. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment